Ceramic Vs. Porcelain For A Bathroom FloorPosted: June 7, 2011 | Author: writer | Filed under: Bathroom Tiles | Leave a comment »
Ceramic Vs. Porcelain for a bathroom floor makes easy for us to decide the one which suits our needs. According to Roark- “A building has integrity, just as a man and just as seldom! It must be true to its own idea, have its own form and serve its own purpose.” It can serve its own purpose only when the architect differentiate the function of materials used in that. That is the power of differentiation. Tiles are among those important materials. Both porcelain and ceramic tiles are good enough for bathroom floor yet some minor factors like cost, properties and patterns let them fall into different categories. When you are aware of those factors then only you can make a right choice.
Ceramic Vs. Porcelain tiles– Manufacturing
- Porcelain clay is carefully compressed before heating whereas in Ceramic tiles there is no requirement of compression.
- Porcelain is made up of white or light clay which provide better glaze.
- Ceramic materials can be made into almost any color whereas Porcelain tiles are dyed with different colors. So if you need tiles for decoration purpose then you can prefer ceramic tiles.
- Porcelain is made up of different mixture of ingredients. It involves feldspar and clay.
Ceramic Vs. Porcelain tiles– Properties
- Ceramic tiles are heat resistant and therefore can be used in kitchen.
- Porcelain tiles are dyed and therefore they are scratch resistant.
- Porcelain tiles are less water resistant than ceramic tiles. So you can use ceramic tiles in bathroom whereas porcelain for outdoor location.
- Frost can adversely affect ceramic tiles. So use ceramic tiles only for indoor purpose.
- Porcelain tiles are denser and impact resistance as compared to Ceramic tiles. Therefore it is difficult to cut porcelain tiles. They are resistant to abrasion as well. So if you want flooring which require accessing quite frequently then choose ceramic tiles.
Ceramic Vs. Porcelain for a bathroom floor- Cost wise
Porcelain tiles are costlier than Ceramic. Cost of ceramic or porcelain tile varies with the location and manufacturer.
Advantages of Porcelain Floor tiles
- Porcelain tiles are very strong.
- Their glaze makes them so popular for their appearance.
- Porcelain tiles are durable. These are highly resistance to abrasion, wear and tear and chip.
- These types of tiles do not allow any type of harborage of bacteria and microbes. As mentioned earlier they are fireproof and they do not get damaged by any sort of chemical cleaners.
- Types of porcelain tiles: Natural and Dense.
- They are waterproof but lesser in comparison to Ceramic tiles.
Advantages of Ceramic floor tiles
- These tiles are known for their resistance to water, wear and tear and abrasion.
- They are slip resistance that means they can be used even in wet places like bathroom.
- Ceramic tiles have relatively longer life in comparison to other tiles.
- Like porcelain tiles they are also fire resistant.
Both ceramic and porcelain tiles have their own advantages and disadvantages. It is up to you to decide which suits you the most according to their properties. If you can make out the exact difference between ceramic vs. porcelain for a bathroom floor then you can get the right material for your bathroom. It is important as needs differs with personal interest. So find out your needs and consider the right tile for your bathroom.